The magnificent and imposing Cathedral of “Panagia Odigitria” (Blessed Virgin Mary), the patron saint of the island , celebrates on November 21st .
The cathedral is built between 1867 and 1874 . All the inhabitants of the island, offered their personal work for 7 years willingly and without remuneration to achieve this great work .
Among the many old and significant icons, one can see the icon of “Panagia Odigitria” of the 15th century , probably originated in Constantinople or Salonika .
This icon is of great interest for one who deals with art and painting.